
This guy! I love him so much. What an all around great guy. Funny, charming, caring, sharp as a tack and ridiculously good-looking. Here's a sweet shot of him at Luigi's (old school Luigi's). We were waiting for pizza. Little by little, we are running the Sacramento pizza circuit. I forgot how much I liked old school Luigi's. Nice pies, even if we had to wade through a primordial stew of Hepatitis B, roundworm and used condoms to get there.

Last night was open house night at Ira's school. Each open house usually features some special
artwork from the students. This time it was a self portrait with the classic Montessori theme: Peace Begins With Me. I love how he drew his hair here, he's got the Eddie Munster widow's peak just perfect. The portrait also shows him holding a hammer (that's what he told me). I have since found out that he told the teacher it was a toothbrush. What a rascal! I love him anyway. Just remember, peace begins with Ira or else!
I wanted to write this down quickly before it became lost to time. It is so fascinating to me that Ira has no concept of aging and consequently becoming an adult. Not so much lately, but every once in a while he gets very anxious about growing up. His five year old brain is convinced that he's destined to grow up as fast as Tom Hank's character in Big. He's never seen the movie, but it's exactly what he fears will happen. He asks a lot about what we will do when he wakes up one day and finds he is a grown up. Where will he get his clothes?! We've been around and around in circles about this. I have tried many different ways of explaining that growing up into an adult takes a long time. First you're a kid, then you're a bigger kid, then you're a teenager and eventually you're an adult. I didn't realize until recently that he has no frame of reference for a teenager transitioning into an adult. He simply hasn't been alive long enough to have known anyone going through this. He knows plenty of adults, but they've always been adults to him. He isn't capable of thinking of them as being children or teenagers once. This all kind of blows my mind when I think about it. Anyway, I finally had to come up with a stock answer for when he's worried about suddenly waking up and finding grown up clothes that fit. I said he could borrow some of dad's clothes until we could go clothes shopping. It worked.
No comments:
Post a Comment