
Did you know there's a whole part of California dedicated to making wine?! Really! We went there finally. Actually, we've been to wine country for other stuff, like driving through it. We're beer people, go easy on us. One local we ran into found out it was our first time in Guerneville (world-class city under Rome) and was incredulous that we had somehow missed it as native Californians. Well, I guess when we go places, we go to...other places that are not Guerneville? Anyway, charming place, that Guerneville. It was the gayest Mt. Shasta by the beach that I ever visited. I liked it! I really did and I'm keeping it in mind for a return trip with Ira. There was a lot of nature there he would have appreciated. Like these jaw-dropping, thousand-year old redwoods above.
We started out one morning on a little walk through the woods, but it was so beautiful and cool in the woods, our walk turned into a 3 or 4 mile hike through Middle Earth. This fungus reminded me of a book I used to really love when I was a little girl.
We headed to Jenner one evening to watch a sunset on the beach. Romantic times! But it was quite windy and the beach was cold! So we headed down to a place where we could watch it from our car. It was just perfect.
We also managed to squeeze in an afternoon of wine tasting. The Russian River valley is Pinot Noir country, so we tasted a lot of those. In the grocery store, I gravitate towards budget Pinots, so it was a real treat to taste some really stellar ones. This lizard scurried by swilling a glass of chardonnay. He was cordial enough to pose for this photo.
On our way home, we stopped back at Russian River to get a few beers for the road. It was a fun weekend.


No comments:
Post a Comment