Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Eat a sandwich!


This kid lives on crackers and air. I don't even understand it. There are SO many things he won't eat. My tiny half-breed won't even touch beans! It breaks my heart.

Last night we found a way to get him to eat a little broccoli and tofu. The secret is to play off his interest in video games like Mario Kart Wii and other racing games where the player can issue a special attack at their opponents. I assigned a surprise attack to each bite of broccoli or tofu, which I revealed to Ira after he bit it. We came up with so many: lightning bolts, super sticky maple syrup, slippery feet, bumble bees, etc. Ira then used these imaginary attacks on dad, who was a great sport to play along and pretend he was being chased by bees or reacting to a taser (don't tase me bro!).

While we won't have the energy to do this every night, it was so relieving to see Ira actually eat a proper serving of food. Phew!

3 comments:

IsamarDesigns said...

That is brilliant! I think I'm going to try this out.

lisa ninja said...

When Roan was in her heavy video game phase, Davey used to tell her "you can play IF you eat your vegetables" and then he'd put this GIANT pile of green beans on her plate. She ate them, too.

Unfortunately, bribes don't work on the middle child... I think the last vegetable she ate was ketchup.

My kids won't eat beans either. It drives me bananas (which seems to be all the youngest wants to eat lately).

Alice said...

i've never met a kid past the age of 2 who really wanted to eat vegetables. i feel like when they're young, they don't know enough yet to refuse broccoli. but as soon as they've had mac 'n cheese or pancakes, it's all over. i think all of us were like that though, right? i mean, i don't recall particularly liking vegetables until i got around 12 or 13. and even then it was mostly when they had a ton of cheese on them.