Monday, July 24, 2006

Summer food


In the summertime, there's nothing finer than all of the fabulous produce in season. I can't get enough stone fruits (nectarines, apricots, cherries, peaches) because they're so sweet when they're ripe. Tomatoes are starting to get better, too. I went to the farmers market yesterday and picked up a little of both the fruits. For the apricots and nectarines, I ate them just as they were yesterday, but if I had some goat cheese, that would've been good, too. I decided to use the tomatoes in a basil-feta salad. I halved a basket of cherry heirlooms and added in some cut basil leaves, sprinkled on some feta and doused it all with bariani and the last bit of my fancy balsamic vinegar from Italy, fresh ground sea salt and pepper. Simple, but it came out delicious. They reminded me a little of the stacked tomato salads I made a while back (pictured).

We went to Cafe Bernardo Sunday evening. It was so hot inside, I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered the side of mashed potatoes with my sandwich, but bad idea. The potatoes were great, but my food was so hot and it was so muggy inside, I sweated a bunch just sitting there. Leon ordered this great asparagus, tofu salad with shaved carrots and a soy-ginger vinaigrette. It was so good! I totally need to go back and order just that.

Mmmm, food. Who's hungry?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i remember those little tomatos!

they were delish.