
I can't help it if I have a dorky fascination with NY Times puzzle editor, Will Shortz. I try not to miss his weekly appearance on NPR's Weekend Edition for the Sunday puzzle because his on air chemistry with Liane Hansen is totally cute. You can always tell how stoked she is when he joins the broadcast. Anyway, I went to see Wordplay last night with just about the only other person who would really want to see it anyway. It was like a 90 minute visual NPR story. I really liked it, except for the parts with Ken Burns. Ken Burns is really annoying. They also interviewed Bill Clinton in it (who was looking pretty hot for an old guy) and he was wearing a weird hemp bracelet. Bill, are you inhaling now?
Before the movie, we ate at Katmandhu Kitchen. I ordered the Vegan Thali, which seemed like a lot less food than I remember getting the last time I ordered it. They also have a vegetarian Thali, but I like the vegan one because they keep it clear of paneer. While I'm loving me some cheese, I have a hard time with paneer. It doesn't taste like much and it has me doubled over with stomach pains after I eat it. Plus, is that stuff pasturized? Baby only lets me eat cheeses that are made with pasturized milk because we could get listeriosis and miscarry. But I forgot that with the vegan Thali, you don't get naan, you get some other kind of bread. Sad, but it still tasted good. I liked everything on the platter, but the tomato pickles. They were horrible. Imagine a taste of unripe tomatoes being pickled in lighter fluid, rusty water and windex. That's what they tasted like. Just horrible! But my insides are now sparkling clean...
3 comments:
Sparkling clean? Even with the rust?
Katy and I went and saw WordPlay together too, and I of course loved it. I actually have never been able to complete a crossword puzzle in my life, but I love anagrams, the phenomenon of which is covered in the movie.
I also liked how at one point when Bill Clinton started talking I wanted to yell at him and say "You can't get elected again, as much as we want to! Knock it off!"
Katy and I also talked about how it's fortunate that the gay couple, cute as they were as a dorky gay couple, would never produce children, because they'd be pretty ugly.
A lot of the contestants they showed were cute in their dorkiness. I loved the baton-twirling lady. No one could make her life up if they tried. Just awesome!
I wish we got the real Times crossword here. I think the one we get in the Bee is not the same as the one in the Times. It's still created and edited by NY Times, but they never say what the theme is.
You can get the NY Times here, though! It might be worth it for the crosswords alone!
Post a Comment