Thursday, March 23, 2006

Hey, I can't see!


This was my approximate view at Tuesday's Belle & Sebastian show until I decided to do something about it. So I was enjoying my view at the show at the worst possible venue for it (the SFDC Concourse Exhibition Barn), until 3 members of the San Francisco chapter of the Very Tall Dancers pushed their way in front of me. They proceeded to dance with arms up for every song, completely blocking my view. Since the sound was so bad, it really wasn't worth it for me to stand there looking at the back of someone's sport jacket. I momentarily considered going straight to the back; at least I'd have a clearer view there. Eventually, I thought better of that. Finally I couldn't take it any longer and decided to squeeze and push my way in front of the tallest dancer yelling "you're too fucking tall!" in the process. I could tell he was a little pissed at first, but he mellowed out after he saw that I wasn't going to block his view. I'm Lilliputian, hardly a height threat to anyone's line of sight. I weathered out the rest of the show seeing the stage kind of okay. The venue just sucked. It wasn't built for music at all. I would have much rather seen B&S play almost anywhere else. They could have easily played 2 nights at the Fillmore, Warfield or Great American, but I'm assuming they didn't because those places were probably booked already. Because why wouldn't you choose either of those places over the SFDC longhouse? The whole experience bummed me out.

I took the next day off to recover. We took Heylove to the park, checked out the new Ikea and I took a grand nap. The food at the new Ikea looks cheap and good. I'm going to try it for lunch next week.

Okay, now I'm busy. Outlook says I have 41 unread messages left.

1 comment:

werenotdeep said...

That was a neat building, though, I liked it. I just didn't like that Belle and Sebastian played their show there.

If I ever have a trade show convention, I'm so having it there.