Monday, December 19, 2005

The Penultimate Peril!

How did I not know that the new Lemony Snicket book was out?! Since my library friend moved away, I'm simply lost without book news. I bought myself an early christmas present by picking it up yesterday at Tower.

I am not a big crepe fan. Dessert crepes are okay, it's the savory ones that I get grossed out by. I think it's a textural thing. The crepe shell or whatever it's called, is so soft, then you put warm, soft stuff in it. It makes the whole thing feel like a big phleghm-wad to me. So when everyone started freaking out about Crepeville and it's takeover of the Sacramento casual dining scene, I was not first in line to check it out. Instead I sent Leon. Leon is less picky than me. He likes everything that I like (well, except cherry pie), but I only like a sub-set of what he likes. Turns out Crepeville has a bunch of other items that are not crepes. In fact, they have a couple different kinds of veggie sandwiches and shockingly giant salads. 3 or 4 people could easily share a large-size salad, it's that big. So far I've been there twice and really liked what I had both times (no crepes though). The first time I went, I had a half Fuji salad, which consists of mixed greens, candied walnuts, blue cheese crumbles, and Fuji apple slices, tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette. Easy enough to make at home, which I did almost all last year, but nice to order out. The second time I went, I had the half sandwich/half salad combo. I chose the roasted bell pepper sandwich, which I would typically avoid due to it's high slimy vegetable factor, but the walnut bits they added to it gave it a nice crunchy texture. The portions are huge and the prices are fairly reasonable. I just wish they took credit or debit cards.

3 comments:

ACK said...

I feel the same way about crepes. I only like the dessert kind.

Anonymous said...

There's just one left...the end is near! And, how is a crepe so different from a burrito? vive le france!

p.s. not trying to be anonymous, but i'm not a "blogger" or "other".

Teeni said...

There IS one left! I am so sad to see it all end, but also glad to see how some of the mysteries are revealed. Crepe is way different than burrito. The tortilla from a burrito is way doughier and not as eggy and flimsy as a crepe.