Monday, April 28, 2003

Pizza quest.

Leon and I love checking out places in Sacramento that we aren't totally familiar with. We take delight in driving through uncharted (to us) back roads of suburbs and just overall finding areas that seem out of place in this town that we claim to know like the backs of our hands. Last night was another delight. If you're following along here, I've been on the quest for good pizza for some time now. I've tried quite a few places, yet none stack up to Zelda's famed pies. Two of the places that came with high recommendations from fellow Zelda's fans turned out to be worse than Pizza Hut, in my opinion. I was beginning to loose hope. So, right, anyway....last night we headed out to Stockton blvd. and 14th ave to Luigi's Piz (the rest of the neon was burned out, so I can only imagine that it's supposed to be Luigi's Pizza). Luigi's is on a stretch of Stockton that I'm not too familiar with, so it was kind of neat to check this place out. The inside decor was sheer dive fare. There was a pizza counter, a bar, several picnic-style tables, the best old school R&B jukebox in town and a big screen TV. The no-frills menu offered a few specialty pies (combination, vegetarian), but for the most part, you just pick your toppings individually. At the counter, we ordered a large mushroom, olive, tomato and fresh garlic pizza, then found a table in the back. The wait was maybe 20 minutes and we passed the time watching the Spurs vs. Suns game and singing along to the old school slow jams (well, I was singing). Before too long, the pizza arrived at our table. It looked and smelled great. All of the toppings were fresh and the sauce was slightly tangy. Best of all, the cheese was perfectly melted and tender. I loved it so much that I greedily scarfed down 4 pieces before I knew what hit me. Best of all, when we called last night to check hours (Sunday), they stated that they were open until midnight. Holy crap. I'm definitely going back.

No comments: