Thursday, August 23, 2012

We're back from vacation and I have a picture post about that coming soon, but I just realized I had this other post almost finished and ready to go. Seems prudent to publish this first and if there's anything I could use more of is prudence.

Like many people who watched the Olympics, I felt awe, pride, inspiration...laziness and regret. I watched the women's Olympic road race and felt inspired to spend some more time in the (bike) saddle. I've been majorly slacking on training this summer despite my high hopes this past spring. Does intention count for anything? I felt I properly intended to ride more and so I deserve my due credit! I can't put my finger on exactly what happened but I ended up insanely busy this summer and didn't have time to do much in the way of riding. I picked up this book from the library to help with motivation. Why yes, I am a time crunched cyclist. I am also a time crunched parent. Is there a book for that?



I was able to squeeze in a nice long ride to Old Folsom last month. It was an excellent ride! We stopped for lunch at Samuel Horne's Tavern and spotted a band of pirates. They did not order rum in their first round, but did for their second. Sometimes stereotypes are comforting.



Here's that new bar tape I put on. I really like how it goes with the color of my frame. I also got new black brake hoods, which I was so happy about that I actually wrote an Amazon review. My old white ones (originals?) were super sticky, grimey and breaking down into rubbery goo.



I am also back on the 30 Day Shred. I love and hate this stupid DVD. I need all the squats I can get for my riding legs. Sometimes as I roll out of bed at unreasonably early hours to get my fitness clothes on, I repeat this brief mantra, "you deserve this." Often times it's much more of a scold than an affirmation, like "you made unhealthy choices and now you will pay." More recently, I try to think of it in a more positive light as in, "you really deserve this special time to better yourself, be fit and get stronger." I do deserve it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

give me some of that motivation, please. i'm trying to get back into a gym routine AND go vegan again.... i want to build my man chest :)

Teeni said...

Motivation is the hardest part! This is what has worked for me in the past:

Find a buddy. It's good to have someone to be accountable to and vice versa. I once did Couch to 5K with a friend and I don't think I could have completed it without a standing running date and a plan.

Get an app. There are tons of fitness apps for smart phones now, it's nuts. I use Lose It to count calories and set weight goals. I used Run Keeper to log running miles but now I use it for cycling miles. Lots of apps like these have built in social networking aspects, where you can connect with friends to form virtual fitness teams. You can find me on either.

Buying new clothes. I love shopping and trying on new styles, but I hate shopping because I have to go a size up. I am cheap about this. I figure I can save money by maintaining the size I have the most of in my closet. Too tight clothes is one thing that will get me up to work out in the morning.

Make one healthy choice and then make another. I get a lot of use out of that one when I feel like my goals are out of reach. It's the one foot in front of the other method.

I also think really hard about taking care. Take care is something we say to people but don't really think about what it means to us. To me it means, take care of yourself! No one else will do it. For me, these are things like cooking a nutritionally square meal, getting in a quick work out or flossing my teeth.

Last but not least, if I'm not on a bike, I can't hang with long strength-cardio work outs. I don't have the patience. I find short ones I like and don't get too bored by. I found some 20 - 30 minute work outs that aren't bad and work. There's free Nike Training app I have that has a ton of audio work outs (and form examples) for different goals. I keep meaning to try it.

You'll get a man chest if you want to work for it.

Teeni said...

I just re-read my comment and thought it sounded terribly cliche. I guess there's a reason why these methods get the most lip service.

Anonymous said...

all very good advice! i have the couch to 5k app (and part of the reason i joined a gym again) and the lose it app! i just need to use them! i'm trying to get a friend or two to be gym buddies. i also went to a bookstore tonight and looked at tons of vegan cookbooks. i have a bike but hate biking here :( it really comes down to this bizarre lack of motivation i have even though i want to do it. i actually think i have a psychological block! must discuss with therapist.

looking forward to the vacation post!