Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Nomnivores


We did some camping this last weekend. I didn't get many pictures, which sort of bums me out. I don't know what to tamp into the Excuse Cannon® (patent pending), but it will probably be something along the lines of "why bother, my kid hates pictures and won't sit still." Yes. That sounds right. This picture came out a bit blurry, but I love what is captured here. The big one and the little one sharing a laugh about something. Ira was cracking me up all weekend. I love having a funny kid. His non-sequiturs and out-of-nowhere anecdotes are the best. My favorite of the weekend had to be his completely off-topic story about the dangers of lunch meat.


Ira: "One time at school, I slipped on a piece of salami and I thought it was so funny!" [Reenacts salami slipping] I admit that the humor in this largely was that it was told so out of context.


But it's true. Lunch meat can be very slippery. He also told me that he tried pig at snack yesterday. Pig? Yeah, I know. It's a fancy preschool with a lot of foodie parents and I wouldn't be surprised if someone had brought an entire leg of home-cured Iberico ham. Turns out it was just regular lunch meat-style ham. The kids are learning about dinosaurs and the difference between carnivores, omnivores and herbivores, and were offered corresponding snacks at circle time. What macho little man wouldn't want to have what a T-rex would have? Anyway, he tried it and he liked it. He also told me he taught the class about nomnivores, which only eat noms. We might buy some lunch meats. Do any of you know the best place to find some top quality stuff?


Back to camping. We went here:

This is Goose Lake and it's somewhere, way up highway 49. There were tons of alpine lakes in this region and the scenery was stunning. Our site was right next to this lake and we felt like we were camping in one of those motivational posters, except with way more mosquitoes. Actually, I'm being dramatic. The mosquitoes were not really that bad after heavy application of repellant. And they really only came out for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. The fire and clothing kept them mostly at bay. If I had brought appropriate clothing, I might not have mentioned the mosquitoes at all. All in all, I would go back. It really was that beautiful.













3 comments:

CHR said...

The mosquitoes are pretty gnarly there at Goose Lake. They even chewed up poor Gotro's belly. I sprayed some DEET on him, and then I found out you aren't supposed to use DEET on dogs. Bad dog owner.

Let's have a sit-down consultation about lunch meats soon.

Teeni said...

I don't buy DEET stuff anymore because Picaridin works just as well and is safer for kids and dogs. Cutter makes a good one and I just found OFF with Picaradin, too.

Pencil me in for your lunch meat seminar. I need my CEUs in nitrates.

CHR said...

I will look into this Picaridin. I tried Eucalyptus once and I think it was just like adding more seasoning flavors for the mosquitoes.