Thursday, March 01, 2012

Back in the saddle


I started getting back on the bike. Slowly. While I ended my cycling season on a strong note last year, picking up again has been glacial in pace. Get ready for the Excuse Cannon® (patent pending). First, I was hit with a succession of sinus infections and respiratory viruses. I was sick from Thanksgiving until about last week. Seriously! I had maybe one glowing week in late January where I wasn't unloading a few tablespoons of phlegm every five minutes. Sorry. I said it and now you're thinking about my phlegm.

Second, it was cold. If I can be dramatic, it was arctic cold at times! Have you ever ridden a bike on a windy day? That wind will just go right through you.

Third, I got lazy. Finally feeling well and motivated as of two weekends ago, I got back in the saddle and did about an hour of intervals on my trainer, which is a metal stand that props your back tire up against a roller and you spin your pedals like you would a stationary bike. It's a convenient tool and I've used it indoors and outdoors. However, it's super boring. I usually try to watch a movie on my phone with earbuds or listen to a podcast. It's always more fun to be out on the bike trail, riding through all that nature and chatting with my brother, HH*.

I'd really love to get back on the bike this coming weekend for some much needed TITS (ugh, that's my most hated initialism, but it stands for Time In The Saddle), but guess what? I'm busy. Excuse number four!

The only thing I ever want any more is more time.


*Not intended to be a factual brother.

1 comment:

Scott Miller said...

"The only thing I ever want any more is more time" has a bit of an Oasis ring to it.

-miller