Tuesday, December 06, 2011

General sense of blerginess

If I were a computer, I think I'd need to be restarted in safe mode. There's some serious malware that is making me feel super lame. I'm trying to get through it. Here are some pictures taken with my phone from the last few weeks.


We did our Black Friday nature walk. I love the American River Parkway around late November. In previous years it's been a lovely stark grey moonwalk, with the gorgeous lines of bare branches all around. This year there was still so much green! And some dead salmon. That part was kind of gross, but we had a nice walk anyway.



I am trying to take better care of myself. Here's the day where I got an X-Ray because I am pretty sure I have a stress fracture on this leg. From what? Oh, just jogging. OVER A YEAR AGO. The X-Ray didn't show anything significant (though they rarely do for these kinds of stress fractures), so my doctor ordered a two-phase nuclear bone scan. Sounds fancy, right? Costs about as much as you think it does too: about eleventy millions dollars. I don't part with that kind of cash easily, so I'm getting a second opinion. Hopefully someone can just put me in a walking boot and advise me on some new running shoes and inserts. And in case you're like "what the heck are you doing walking around on a broken leg for a year?" Just remember that I experienced a terribly painful childbirth and it's my right to bring that up whenever I want sympathy. I kid, but also kind of not.




This guy. Man, I love this guy. Everything about him is pretty cool except for when it's not.




When it's not pretty cool, I bust the drink out when he goes to bed. This one here is Rampage IPA. I've had it a few times before and thought it was a positively delightful California IPA, being fragrant and crisp with a lingering grapefruit rind taste. This last bottle I got though was super malty and kind of weird. I drank it anyway.




From the department of useful things. You can bend up a card and use it as a smart phone stand. If you're like me and have so many first world problems, you might one day find yourself saying "ugh! I'm just so tired of holding this phone while I watch a movie on it!"




Leon took me to this awesome vegan soul food place and we ate all of this and more. If this plate of food was a pleasant eBay transaction, I would rate it: A++ Would eat again.





I found a killer recipe in Rick Bayless's Authentic Mexican for aceglas guisadas. I had never heard of it, but when I read the recipe, I practically ate the page. It's potatoes, chard, tomatoes, onion and jalapeno stewed down in broth. It came out so great. I stuffed it in these enchiladas and we ate like kings for three days.

There. That about catches us up.

6 comments:

Les said...

I wish you guys can come visit & I'll take you to my favorite soul food place. I swear, it's the bestest!

Miss you guys. Wish I had more time in the west coast or more time in general.

Feel 100% soon!


Love.

Anonymous said...

Ira kind of looks like an animated character of himself in that picture!

That enchilada looks insanely good.

-miller

Snufkin said...

Ira's photo is your eyes with Leon's smile.

Hear ya on the blergness, I've been through that the past few months and feel like I'm coming out of it. We can both use some of the excuse that it's the time of year, missing people, right? Miss ya & looking forward to Soup!

beckler said...

Whaa?! I was just going to comment on how good the enchilada looks and then I saw Miller had posted. Good news, Miller. I'm printing out the recipe.

Was the vegan place the one near Beer Revolution?

beckler said...

oh shit, that was just a link to the book. Can you print the recipe?

Teeni said...

Ugh. I'm too sick and lazy bones to transcribe Bayless's (Bayless'?) recipe. Maybe epicurious has an aceglas guisadas recipe? If you can whip up that and a good enchilada sauce then you've got it.