
I don't know why I feel like belittling this, but I am. I rode a bike! For a long time. At the end of the ride, I got a medal and this picture. A picture that proves I did it, this riding for a long time. It was the easiest hard work and the sense of capability I gained from it is so sweet.
I practiced a lot, so it wasn't something that most folks could just wake up and pound out. I whined and cried about the long hours spent on my bike trainer machine, but all the long training rides I got to do on the bike trail more than made up for it. There's something excellent about riding a bike that I couldn't get from running (being in injured runner is how I got into this cycling business in the first place). I love being able to keep up a good cardio work out for hours (heck yes, I said hours). I also love being able to carry on a conversation with my fitness buddy (hi, HH!) or completely zone out if I so chose. It's a great social sport and as a pretend athlete, that's important to me. Loving the work made it easy and now that I know what I can do, I want to do it again. Next season! For money! AND GLITTERING PRIZES!
And as an aside, just between you and me (and the internet) I had to majorly retouch my upper lip in this photo because I'm having the biggest battle with age/nature, who has gifted my face with the most unflattering dirt 'stache. It's kind of like a freckle, shaped like a very uneven mustache. This dirt 'stache if you will, is longer on one side and it is shaped EXACTLY like my dad's perfect Lowrider 'stache that he's had every day of his life (that I can ever remember). I look so much like my dad, it weirds me out sometimes.
4 comments:
how far did you ride? how do you combat the sore crotch problem? botox shots into your crotch? i have never noticed that upper lip thing, so as a casual observer of niki, i can assure you it is not very noticeable.
you look like a real athlete in that picture!
I rode the round trip distance of the American River Bike Trail from Discovery to Beal's Point and back, which is 62 miles/100 km. Phew!
There's no sexy way to avoid saddle soreness. I have to wear special padded bike shorts, and then on super long rides like this one I wrote about, I also have to use this stuff called "chamois butter" on the inside of the shorts. It's pretty gross but it helps to avoid chafing. It's really not a strategy I recommend for a ride to somewhere you have to look nice at.
Go Niki! I'd say enjoying the sport and training for that distance, you are way more of a real athlete than those annoying triathlon bozos. I've been on a strength training/swimming routine for the past 5 months and it's the most awesome ego boost when you start seeing the tiny bits of progress in your strength/endurance.
This is awesome and you are totally an athlete. You carried me through that ride and I thank you for pushing me! Next season, let's do a full century! :)
Post a Comment