
Hot dog
Originally uploaded by riblet.
Been a little stressed lately, for the usual reasons: dead people, work, parenting. I probably haven't been dealing with it effectively. I know this because I can get a little panicky. Some mysterious abdomen pains had me cruising over to WebMD to research the source. I should seriously be banned from this Website. A few minutes and several clicks through the Symptom Checker is the best way to make me overwhelmingly paranoid about my health. The good news: I'm still alive and I'm probably rather healthy. Phew. That was a close one!
I've written about Ira's picky eating before. It's my fault, really. If you plan on feeding a baby someday, DO NOT BUY SUPER BABY FOODS BY RUTH YARON. Instead, spend your money on Hungry Monkey by Matthew Amster-Burton. The picky eating in our house continues to be an issue. We read a book a while back that encourages parents of picky eaters to just serve healthy food and if the picker eats it, fine if not, they wait until the next meal. It's like the "cover your ass" method of business. "Well, I did my part..." While it sounds like a brilliant and obvious strategy, employing it was excruciatingly difficult. Hungry kid whines and cries (different from bratty kid whines and cries) are too painful for me. I usually give in. Ultimately, I didn't have the heart to stick it out and Ira still gets separate meals than us. It pretty much sucks. For me, because I make two dinners, two lunches and two breakfasts. For Ira, because he misses out on awesome things like beans and pizza. He won't try them, the crazy kid! And my beans are good. Not to brag, but they are kind of legendary. It's the truth.
However, I feel inspired to start the one healthy meal, take it or leave it plan again. This is why: yesterday, Ira came home with a mostly-full lunch box and a wet shirt. I asked Leon what was up with the shirt and before he could fully answer, Ira grabbed a fist of shirt at the neck, stuffed it in his mouth and began to chew. The shirt was wet from neck to the bottom hem. Gross. He filled up on shirt instead of the nice lunch I made for him.
Have a kid, they're great®.
3 comments:
hey, you dress him pretty cute so maybe his shirt tasted good? i'm assuming the cries and whines of a hungry kid are pretty much a mom's kryptonite. it's almost like you just have to leave the house so you won't cave.
he's pretty funny! that bit about chewing on his shirt is one of my favorite things ever! i was an extremely picky eater as a kid and basically curse my parents for not making me eat more veggies. 34 and only recently got into them. don't let ira suffer this fate!
webmd is terrible for me too. i pretty much don't allow myself to go there anymore.
dc
As a former picky eater, it's all about the textures and combinations. Sometimes it's just really overwhelming.
How did I break the habit? Probably starting around 1st grade, I got told the story of how one of my grandfathers wouldn't eat food at a meal. His stepmother would hold on to the plate and give it back to him at the next meal. Basically "we're don't have the money to give you a special meal so you eat what everybody else eats." It wasn't fun having to suck down stuff like Black Eyed Peas, but it beat getting a cold plate of it the next day. And I actually now like eating it as an adult!
Post a Comment