Monday, April 26, 2010

Cry like a baby


Neon family portraits 2009
Originally uploaded by riblet.


Sometimes riding the lightrail is the physical equvalent to a random Internet comment thread. People can be combative, rude, pushy or just plain troll-like.

The worst was the other day, when I boarded the train. I spotted an empty seat, but some dude had his foot propped up on it while he was speaking loudly on his cell phone. He made no attempt to move it until I asked if I could please sit there. He moved his foot and i sat. He finished his conversation and then proclaimed sarcastically, "I just love being crammed like sardines in a metal can." Oh, dear. Then don't ride the lightrail at rush hour! You wont be crammed anywhere and you can put your feet wherever you want.

So when someone actually stood up to give an old man a seat the other day and then they both carried on one of those civil, almost jovial, "life is not so bad" conversations people do to grease the social wheels, it totally brought me to tears. Right there on the train! Prepared mother that I am, I pulled a Kleenex from my bra and dabbed at my eyes.

1 comment:

d.c. said...

the most traumatizing thing i had happen to me was a crazy homeless dude offered to buy me a dildo because i clearly wanted to be a man. i told him they were expensive.