
Parenting any child should be an Olympic sport. Parenting toddlers should come with a salary, sponsorship or at the very least, intense psychotherapy. There are so many ups and downs, so many steps forward and even more steps backward.
Yesterday was another awful day at preschool. Ira was in fairly good spirits, but kept hitting and trying to bite other kids. As close as I was supervising him in the classroom, you would think I could have headed off any conflicts. However, my little rascal is so quick, that before I could get up off the floor and spring into action, it seemed he was already on top of another kid. I was mortified, feeling like the parent of the only bad kid in class. Perhaps I should have left with him sooner, but after three separate incidents, I decided we'd call it a day. We left promptly after snack time. No playground time, no circle/story time. If he didn't learn the lesson of "if you can't play nice, you can't play," then I learned the lesson of "if you can't hack it at preschool, leave." We came home and I went online to seek out some support from other parents going through their hitting phases. I was so annoyed and angered to find so many other parents (with angelic kids, of course), saying that hitting wasn't normal and even speculated that kids who hit, do it because they're from abusive households. Oh, dear. Heylove, I need a hug.
Even with all that, Ira woke up this morning with the cutest chatter. He's been stuttering something awful the last week or two and we've been working with him to take a breath and slow down. I'm chalking the recent impediment up to a breakthrough with language and applying complex English syntax. Case in point, I heard him use the word "because" rather effectively (for a two and a half year old) this morning.
At breakfast, pontificating about fruit: "Watermelons have seeds because...they grow in the ground. Mangoes are green, then orange. I eat the mama one!"
Then he did some cute singing: "Party every day, oh yeah!" I think he was trying a Kiss/Ramones mash up. And then came this chant: "You got a heart! You got a heart!"
I do love this kid more than I thought I could love anything.
4 comments:
I don't know if it's PMS but you made me tear up a little bit.
Don't listen to those assholes who say hitting wasn't normal or that they come from abusive households. Ira probably doesn't know it's bad yet. Rough housing is fun to him I'm sure (it's fun to me even in highschool haha). Big hugs to you!
"You got a heart! You got a heart!"
you know, a friend has 3 kids - one older brother and two twins who are about two years younger. of the 3 one of the twins went thru a hitting/biting phase. this is the most loving family ever! one out of three. you know, some kids just get overwhelmed with emotion and don't know how to release and that's what they do. the phase lasted probably 3-6 months and now he's moved on. IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT AND DON'T LET ANY OF THOSE PRESCHOOL MOM BITCHES MAKE YOU FEEL BAD!!! kids are fucking kids and they deal how they deal. it's a phase, you'll do your best to stop him when he does it and he will out grow it.
sounds rough! i'm glad he sang you some cute songs afterwards, however. i had a co-worker who said something funny once about parenting (he had twins). he said something like "mental illnesses our inherited -- parents get them from raising their kids."
Oh, the preschool moms are okay. I think. I was mostly frustrated about what some jerks online were saying (not to me directly). I've had to leave the park with Ira a couple of times since last week, so we're still working through this rough patch. However, I'm feeling ready to take on preschool tomorrow! Wish me luck...and endless patience.
Post a Comment