Sunday, March 29, 2009

First foccacia


First foccacia
Originally uploaded by riblet.

Fueled by my major failure last week with preschool, I've been making up for my parenting inadequacies with a total cooking storm in the kitchen. It's been very therapeutic. This weekend I made pinto beans, garbanzo beans and this foccacia. Beans and bread, beans and bread!!

The foccacia came out pretty good, but a much denser crumb than expected. I don't understand bread science yet, but I think it's either because I used too much flour or kneaded it too much. The recipe is from "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison. I find myself turning to this book again and again. Over half the loaf was gone by this afternoon. Leon and I had little toasty sandwiches with it, topped with farmer's market tomatoes, salt, pepper, good olive oil and some cheese.

My efforts in the kitchen prompted this sad exchange:

Me: "I made foccacia! It basically sucks not to be married to me right now."

Leon: "It kind of does, since I'm on a diet and you're making all this bread."

Wah!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Doesn't Leon know? Diets are for ladies! Is he trying to fit into a new swimsuit?

Teeni said...

He is! It's a real sexy two piece.