
I could use another one right about now
Originally uploaded by riblet.
Last night we were let down by businesses promising to offer us delicious and rare beers, but totally not delivering. We started the evening out for nutburgers and beer at F&G. First the waitress tried to sell us a lame ale, but we asked what was on their seasonal tap. She went to check and came back to let us know it was Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest. Wow! If they still had that, I'd surely drink it! But, after a few minutes she came back and told us they were out. I ended up with a Stella Artois draft, which I don't hate, but sort of had my mind set on the Oktoberfest. In all, we came there to drink and eat, and she might have sold us one more beer had she been a little quicker on the service.
After that, we went to Bows and Arrows and on to 58 degrees to check out their beer list. There were only two draft beers. Leon got the Scrimshaw Pilsner (delicious) and I got a glass of wine (pleasing). After we asked for the list of premium bottle beers, I was sorry I got the wine. They had arguably the best bottled beer selection I've seen in town, which included Grimbergen blonde, and I've been wanting that for a while. We were really impressed to see a Hitachino IPA listed and asked the barkeep if we could buy that beer in the wine shop next door. He said that we could, so being Hitachino nerds, we quickly finished our drinks and ran next door. Uh oh, make sad trumpet sounds! The Hitachino they were pimping as an IPA (which we've never seen before) was actually the Hitachino Classic Japanese Ale (pictured). We've previously found this at a Whole Foods in DC and liked it, but were not willing to buy it since we were hoping to buy a Hitachino we've never had. We also noticed that the premium beer list included a He'Brew that was listed without the brand, just the brewing company, which is Schmaltz. When I saw it on the beer list, I didn't connect He'Brew to Schmaltz and thought that it was a totally different beer and when we saw it in the beer cooler, we were kind of disappointed. More sad trumpet sounds. I'm sorry to say that after those two mix ups, we felt like this place was basically the Nugget with chairs and sexy lighting. Shout out to smiller for the term "chimayed."
4 comments:
MMMM, Hitachino! You're husb got me hooked on that. Yum!
The words "sad trumpet sounds" might just have to replace debbie downer for a description of feeling let down.
58 Degrees and their damn beer list! I went there the other night & both beers I ordered were out of stock. I think their problem is that when they opened there was a guy there that was mad for brew & was trying to get good stuff but then he left & they seem to have no idea what to order anymore. You can only imagine how crazy it drives me to see all the pieces in place for a store downtown to have a good beer selection that just can't seem to come together. I still have no idea how they bypassed the "no singles downtown" law.
-miller
It IS so frustrating! I kind of forgot about the no singles law. Maybe "the law" forgot about the no singles law, too. I can remember buying a Pabst tall boy at Rick's Uptown for a Peep Off not that long ago.
Post a Comment