Friday, August 01, 2008

Frolicking in a meadow


McGurk Meadow
Originally uploaded by riblet.

Whenever Leon takes me to see nature (he's my nature guide), I love coming across meadows. They look so serene from the car. Vibrantly green and lush with grasses and trees. You'd half expect to see a unicorn out there calmly munching grass. I always want to hike into them and have a picnic on what looks like their perfectly manicured lawns, or maybe even braid that unicorn's hair. Unfortunately, if you've ever been to a meadow, then you know that you really can't do this. Meadows are lush and green and they look nice from the car, but in reality? That grass is knee-high, the ground is wet because there is a stream or some shit running through it and it's lousy with centipedes, gnats, no-seeums, mosquitoes and other pests. It just goes to show that you can journey somewhere because it looks nice, but once you get there, it can suck just as bad as the place you came from.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Careful, I've also heard that a meadow is the natural habitat for R.O.U.S.'s. BTW, did someone say Unicorns?

Anonymous said...

"It just goes to show that you can journey somewhere because it looks nice, but once you get there, it can suck just as bad as the place you came from."

Have you thought about copyrighting that phrase?

-miller

Teeni said...

I tried, but the person who owns the rights to the phrase "the grass is always greener" claimed copyright infringement.

Shannon said...

Are you having a bad day? I hope not, but dang this post is funny!