Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Rough road


Two eggs
Originally uploaded by riblet.

We've had a really trying week with Ira. He's been throwing tantrum after tantrum. I have half a mind to ship him off to boarding school already. Lucky, for his sake, he's so cute. We can't stay mad at that face for too long.

I've been putting off blogging because it seems like too much work. So I'm going to catch you up, cheater style. With a list!

Reading:
They F*** You Up: How to Survive Family Life by Oliver James

Listening to:
Podcasts, like This American Life and that mix CD that Leon left in the kitchen.

Watching:
Beauty and the Geek (go poet dude!), America's Next Top Model (go Claire!), Top Chef (go curly-haired girl!), Lost (can't wait until 4/24!) and Curb Your Enthusiasm season 6. I'm actually watching that last one while peeking through one hand.

Frequenting:
The Co-Op, the post office and Southside Park.

Hobbying:
Scouring the thrift stores for awesome kid's books and designer baby clothes.
Getting started on some spring planting. Hello, basil! Would you like some mint to keep you company?

Learning:
Still figuring out my camera.
Trying to keep my cool when Ira head butts me in the face.

Eating:
Quinoa, polenta, pesto, mushrooms. But not together.

Drinking:
I had a bottle of Bogle reserve red zin and it was super!
Also consumed were at least three fancy margaritas from Centros. Delish!

And to tie it up...
This week's mantra: Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

3 comments:

Alice said...

so into the mantra! Was Ira being mellow when I was over the other night? He had me fooled that cute Ira was the only Ira out there!

I'm so sorry you guys are going through the terrible twos! Or, as the pediatrician at the MIND calls it, the "terrible one to two and a halfs".

Not that it's any consolation, but from what I've heard, the more language Ira masters, the less he'll likely have a fit. So, things can only get better, right?

lisa ninja said...

Sorry to hear about the tantrums. My almost 6 year old still has them sometimes. Although lately there has been way more whining then tantrums. I just try to appreciate the moments when they're not screaming/whining/crying.

I think the language mastery helps you understand better what they're freaking out about, but doesn't really help lessen the tantrums, because usually the thing the want, they can't have. (Candy, toys, climbing on something dangerous, etc.) :-(

Unknown said...

Oooo, head butts. That's rough. I know it sounds cheesy, but honestly, have you busted out crying when he does that to you? He may not even register he is genuinely hurting you.

Ugh those twos.