Monday, October 09, 2006

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye.


I don't know where to start. I've cried and fretted about this enough this weekend, but it's not doing me any good. We got the news on Friday afternoon that the liquidation company won the final bid for Tower. The going out of business sales began immediately on Satruday morning. Our employee discounts were eliminated, instead everything in the stores was marked down. I passed by the stores on Broadway and saw people funneling in and out of them, just like Christmas. I can't imagine why everyone's buying now. The clearance offer is lousy. 10% off list price? Please. I'd wait until the body is a little colder and the discount is a little bit deeper.

So here I've been for 11 years. I started out at the record store in Citrus Heights in 1995. I needed a job after high school and wanted a discount on CDs, so it was a good fit. I had a lot of fun at that store and made some really good friends. After 4 years there, working and putting myself through college, I moved on to their local regional office as the assistant for this wacky guy. He was either on or off, depending on how the horse races went, but at least he was never there. In that empty office, I taught myself how to use a computer properly. When the big company losses were first reported in 1999, my position was eliminated. I went with my tail between my legs back to the store and worked there for a couple of months while looking for a new job. It didn't take long. I got offered an entry level position in the corporate marketing department.

I was just 23 when I started in this department. I was stoked to work closer to home and I got a nice raise, too. The environment in marketing was so fun. We got wined and dined by labels, newspapers and radio stations. There were plenty of free CDs, DVDs, concert tickets, meeting bands and tons of new connections. And I can't forget about the trips I've been on: LA, Hawaii, Manhattan, DC, Philly, Chicago, Seattle, Portland and Phoenix. I also learned so much about marketing, retail, merchandising and negotiating. I've had some really great bosses who've challenged me to do better, and I did. I met some good friends that I know I'll still be in contact with. And here I am, six years later. But like any job you've been at for ages, it was tough some years. I've hated it, I've loved it, sometimes been indifferent to it. I can confidently say that Tower has never treated me poorly. It's been a really, really good ride for me. Sure, it's ending pretty shitty but I'm not mad, just extremely saddened about the company sale and ultimate closing. As Leon says "It's the end of an era!" So true.

I'll be looking for another job soon, but first things first. Baby Neon is coming soon! For the next couple of months, my job will be mom, food source and baby warmer. Something tells me that this job is going to be the best job of my life. Everything that comes after it will just be to pay the bills.

2 comments:

werenotdeep said...

Yeah, the longest run I've ever had at a place is four years, and it went pretty stale towards the end, but the company was doing fine. Well, you'll surely find something better pretty soon. Good luck!

lisa ninja said...

I worked out at the main office for 5 years. I think it was '96 when I quit. I'm sorry to see Tower go, but it's not surprising. Enjoy your time at home with the baby, they really do grow up fast (except when they're screaming at 3am...)