
I had an OB appointment on Friday and everything is going just swimmingly. Baby is growing exactly as he should and is on track to be about 7lbs at birth, which is pretty normal. I'm a tiny person, so I'm relieved to hear that I'm probably not having a 10 pounder. Phew. So everything's fine except my aching back. Yesterday I had a really tough time with the pain. Every other step or so would generate this sharp lower back pain that would make my knees go weak. I iced it, I heated it, I iced it again. It was better this morning, but still kind of hurts.
We went to register at Babies R Us. It's overwhelming to walk through that giant store and try to wrap your head around all the things you need, think you need or are just not sure of. Wipe warmer? Essential, I guess. Nasal aspirator, essential. 40 different types of blankets, burp cloths, lap pads...all essential. Infant sized turntables and microphones? Doesn't really exist. Tonight we're going to finish the Target registry, too. Note to self: do not take on the task of extreme registering on an empty stomach.
I meant to do so much more this weekend. I never did see Snakes on a Plane and I totally missed the Bananas show (which would have been baby's first Bananas show), because I got too tired on Saturday night. We had Alice & Beardsly over for a mellow dinner in the back yard and a couple of episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm season 5 on DVD. This season is another slow-builder like last season's. We've seen about 5 of the episodes so far and it's starting to pick up speed finally.
Now I'm hungry for second breakfast. Need to go forage for food....
8 comments:
Best picture ever!
I can second a lot of what Amy said. A package of cloth diapers with give you plenty of "burp cloths." Unfortunately, they never seem to spit up on cloths and tend to just spontaneously barf all over the front of your shirt. I always kept some cloth diapers around to use as rags. I did get a couple of pretty burp cloths as gifts. They were so pretty, I never used them!
I'm going to suggest looking into slings, if you haven't already. I still carry the 16 month old in our ring sling (maya wrap). I didn't know about them with the first kid. www.thebabywearer.com has lots of info if you're interested in that sort of thing.
Have fun with the baby shopping! I always thought it was fun. I had to do it online with the first kid, since I was stuck on bedrest. The husband had to pick out the dresser/crib and go get a whole bunch of stuff by himself. I think he was a little traumatized.
I have to stay out of the baby stores these days because I start wanting a third. Not a good idea.
Good ideas. I put a bunch of cloth diapers on the registry last night. They can be used for all kinds of stuff. I also want to try them as our main diapering source, but I guess I'll have to see how that goes.
Lisa, I got the Karma Baby sling as a gift but haven't tried it out yet. Do you know anything about that one? Someone also gave me their baby Bjorn.
The karma baby sling looks like Amy's sling. I forget what that type is called (they have a lot of different "brand" names). It's a lot like a ring sling, but not adjustable. Alot of people really like that type, but getting the correct size is a little more important. That's great you already have one to play with. I got mine before Sage was born and I would practice with one of Roan's baby dolls. The slings are a lot easier with the preggo belly out of the way though.
I'm not a huge fan of the bjorn. With Roan that's all we had (I didn't know about all the other stuff). It's okay but after about 3 months (and Roan was a small baby, 5 lbs at birth) it was getting uncomfortable. The newer ones have a strap that goes around your waist, which probably helps (mine didn't have that). My husband liked the bjorn, though. I think the slings are to "granola" for him. I did strap my Mei Tai on him a few times. That carrier is more comfortable, but the Bjorn is easier to get the kid in and out. I haven't tried the Mei Tai with the kid on my back (yet?). Since she's pretty content on my hip with the ring sling, I've been sticking with that.
You'll get a ton of stuff as gifts because everybody loves shopping for babies.
every baby gear book i've read says that the baby-wipe warmer is a complete waste of money. but there aren't there so many fun ways to throw it away? i'm nearly baby-ed out.
oops! i'm anonymous!
:) hs
Yeah, you'd think that the wipe warmer is a little overboard, but Isaac's mommy and daddy swear by theirs. Plus, I'm having a winter baby so I worry about cold wipes on his bits and pieces!
Niki
We almost got the wipe warmer with the second baby. Then I convinced my husband that we didn't need it, since she was an April baby. So you definately don't NEED it. But, those wipes are cold.
Post a Comment