
Last night's feast as prepared by Joshua Ploeg was absolutely killer. We started off with a shopping trip to the bermuda triangle of grocers. Food Source (who knew their produce was so good and cheap?), Trader Joes and then the Co-op. Then massive amounts of cooking (him) and cleaning (me) ensued. We set up two tables across the living and dining rooms.
Then I bothered Joshua while he cooked. Joshua, where did you learn all this, what are your favorite things to cook, what kind of knives do you use? Finally at 7 or so, people started to roll in and nibble on the appetizers.
Crostini (lady slipper bread?)
with:

Slow roasted tomatoes. These things were serious. They were roasted for like 5 hours.
Then there was this salad with hot, buttered walnuts, greens, pears and figs.

Delicious! Everyone enjoyed it.

I didn't get to take many other picures of the food. Total slacker! But trust me, it was all good. Chickpea cakes with sofretto sauce, chick'n sautee with a congac almond sauce, risotto verdi, broiled asparagus and red/gold beets in a tomato garlic puree.
And for dessert? A very deadly pomegranite cheese cake with pomegranite sauce.
Even Heylove had a blast.

Just look at this tiny prancer!
I was wrecked by the end of the night. All that cleaning! Joshua tried to help, but I insisted that he have a beer and take a load off. Just don't worry your pretty little head, okay?
Right around midnight, I finally went to bed only to be woken up at 2 AM by some psycho girls. They came to do our door, ringing the bell and knocking, just wailing and screaming. Leon and I scrambled to the door to see WTF. So from what I could see through the blinds, there were two girls on the porch, but one ran away. The other one kept knocking, so Leon opened the door. He tried to shoo her away, telling her she had the wrong house but she said that her grandpa died and demanded to come in and see the bathtub. Yeah, whaaaa? I think they used to live in our house a long time ago. Leon called the cops. Hey you would have, too! They were crazy. Eventually, the girls left, then they came back again, and then left again. 30 minutes later after we'd gone back to bed, the cops showed. Anyway, those girls were pretty lucky that my sister didn't hear them last night or else it would have went down in a fiery latina fist fight.
4 comments:
doy. sorry bout that.
blame it on the Sangria.
jeez! ok, that wasn't me.
what's up with the crazies?!
hopefully you got a bit of sleep after that.
They were acting so crazy that we couldn't tell if they were drunk, on drugs or just crazy with grief. Either way you slice it, definitely not fun at the time, but kind of a funny story now.
The cleaning after my feast was insane! Every single dish, pot, bowl, and pan in the whole house was dirty but it was totally worth it. The story about the girls is bizarre. If it was just one, I would say crazy, but how can two people be crazy in the same way?
Post a Comment