
Since last week's episode of Lost revealed so much in a very satisfying way, I figure the writers made up for it last night by airing a total piece of duke. My editors won't allow me to go into much more detail than this.
Okay, I was hanging out with my 13 year old niece last night, grilling her on the slang that middle school kids are using these days. Here's what I found out:
Sweet still means cool, but tight is so 2 years ago, while LOL has made the jump from an IM acronym to an actual spoken word. There's also the crazy adaptation of the word hecka, as hecksta. Wha?
I may be getting old, but I refuse to loose touch with youth culture. I recently learned about Hyphy (hi-fee), which apparently is like crunk for Northern California. Next time I see my 17 year old nephew, I'm going to see if he can enlighten me about scrapers, stunner shades and thizz faces.
5 comments:
At first I though she meant that kids actually say "LOL" to eachother, but I think she did clarify that it's used in notes as an abbreviation. There was some other wierd word she said that I cant remember. Also, keep in mind she's growing up in CH, and as I recall, slang isn't so cutting edge out there. We gotta take your nephew out for dinner or lunch sometime, and I bet our minds will be blown with some southside slang.
I appreciate the face-hiding question marks! We still don't have cable, so we are only watching via that Torrent site - but we are still several episodes behind. I also appreciate your enlightening me on the slang - I'm completely out of touch anymore. Although, I suspect I never was in very close proximity...
Heather
yea! i heard j/k spoken the other day.
as in...joking!
sweet.
oh, but i'm not.....
I heard a guy use "J/K" as a spoken phrase a long time ago. It was even in the 80's.
Post a Comment