
This is probably old news, but I just got my issue of New York yesterday. Is JT LeRoy a hoax? I don't know, but if s/he is, it's a good one. This article seems to point all fingers to Laura Albert. I've already read Sarah and just tried to put The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things on hold at the library, but I have fines and it won't let me hold anything. Boo.
4 comments:
I need to read some of his stuff to get more of a feel for the story. However, this seems like either it's a hoax, or JT is not so much an introvert, as just extremely socially awkward, but still starving for attention and megalomaniacal, and is also a pathological liar, he's just also a talented writer. He probably lived with his parents who were probably weird, but probably didn't whore him out, and went to public school and hung out with lit snobs.
He just sounds like a dirty minded George McFly who is socially awkward, but still despirate for praise, and also feels the need to lie to make his story more interesting.
Except there's something even about that story that doesn't quite fit, but the idea that it's actually a "hoax" with some kind of "taming the mark" ready to unfold when the truth comes out, kind of doesn't make sense yet either. Huh...weird.
Oh yeah, I was also going to say that if he didn't dress like a trashy hipster, he'd probably be a good lookin kid, too. Kinda jowly, though. There is something weird about him that looks half like a handsome slender 23 year old and half like Courney Love.
I think he kind of looks like a young Cory Feldman in the Wig and Sunglasses get up. I have "Sarah" if you want to borrow it. It's a fast read...a little trippy, too.
Oh, that'd be cool. I haven't picked anything up since I put "Great Expectations" down.
Post a Comment