
Right now my favorite burgers are these veggie-disc things from Trader Joe's (not what's pictured, but similar) in "california" flavor. Man, these things are the closest burgers to this one that I had in a Swedish Burger King. If I had Japanese stationary to perfectly match this feeling, it would say:
"Enjoy a burger to remember happy time. That is our wishness."
It was late July 2004. F.men hand been on the road for a while and ended up in Sweden to drink warm beer, hang out with Mr. Show and be exotic amongst 400 drunk young Swedes. We got to the train station, on the way to destination: Swedishes. We were tired, we were hungry. Some of us needed a bath. We couldn't figure out what our money was worth, having to calculate American dollars into Brittish pounds then into Swedish kronors. To us it seemed like play money. Hardly anyone was speaking english and I was feeling more alienated, lost and so far from home. I was feeling worse than my last day of honeymoon in the Mexico City airport when I was so exhausted from speaking the language, I reverted to a bad spanglish. "I don't know cual sala I'm supposed to be in. Donde esta por el vuelo 78?" Except here in Sweden I couldn't speak the language and couldn't even approximate what any of the signs said because they were not in a latin based language. I saw a Burger King and went for it. It was a tiny bit of comfort in a weary day. I totally hated being the American that goes for an American fast food chain while abroad, but the burger was so good though! It wasn't like a lame garden burger where the only vegetable you can see is the rice. There were whole kidney beans and peas in this thing. I loved it. You can't find the same thing in American Burger Kings, but you can get close to it with these jammies from Trader Joe's.
No comments:
Post a Comment