Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Adventures at the gym.

Let me set the tone. I'm at the gym, some evening last week. I'm on the escalator machine on the far left, escalating for about mmm, 5 minutes. I just start breaking a nice sweat when someone gets on the machine beside me on the right. I don't dare look over, you just don't. And the last time that I did, I am not kidding you, I found myself looking down at a very little person. It was akward for both of us, so I just don't look anymore. So there I am escalating and the person next to me is pushing the buttons and adjusting a walkman or something when I hear:
"Niki!" from behind me.
Hmm? Who could that be? I don't turn around, just to be sure I heard correctly.
"Niki. Niki!"
Wha? That IS my name. I turn around and see two punky kids on the stairsteppers. One of them I recognize as someone that used to be in one of Charles's bands. I sort of give a smile and a nod and I don't really get one in return, so I go back to my bidness. Then....
"Niki! Niki!"
OMG!! Dare I turn around again? What are these kids up to?! I turn around again, searching their faces for something, I don't know if this is a trick or they're teasing me or what, but I'm getting annoyed and embarrased. They don't look at me. So as I'm turning back around, I catch a good look at the guy working out next to me, the one who can't hear his friends calling him. He is no other than....
MICKEY.
Mickey!
Defintely not Niki, but can't you see how I was confused?


No comments: