I review some CDs on my desk because I'm bored.
For no reason other than my own entertainment and to possibly impart
my impressions of some new music, I've reviewed some CDs that were
sitting on my desk, because I'm bored and I like run-on sentances.
Caia "The Magic Dragon" (Guidence Recordings)
I admittedly know nothing about electronic music, but this is what I
would describe as what I think is downtempo electronica. Mellow
music that builds and swells. If I were to assign this record as a
soundtrack to a portion of my life as a movie, it would go in the
scene where I am flat broke on a Saturday making a collage on the
kitchen table while it's sprikling outside. Translation: Nothing's
really happening, but it's got a pleasant feel. I will probably
never desire to hear this CD again.
Various Artists "Breakin' Bossa: The American Chapter Volume Two"
(Instinct)
Despite being named "The American Chapter..." this CD sounds very
British. Thick, rich, mid tempo electronic melodies with bossa nova
inspired beats. If this music could carry a handbag, it would.
Interesting sometimes, but I'll never listen to this again. It
reminds me of something that would be played in an expensive boutique
in North Beach that I can't afford to shop in.
The Start "Death Via Satellite EP" (Nitro)
I didn't like this at all, yet I braved all 6 songs AND the video.
How can I put this? Poo. It's like a punk Britney Spears backed by
a generic '80s inspired cast of Hot Topic employees. No musical
redemption whatsoever. Formulaic, predictable, by the book. Their
ambitious video for their single was obviously made to "set the tone"
for what this band is supposed to be about. They play to a living
room full of old dudes and nighty-wearing hot chicks. At the end of
the song, whoa! The dudes are major label execs and they want to
sign the band, but the band mocks disgust and walks out with the
'tude flag flying higher than their collective inflated egos. What's
funny to me is that their distribution company is owned in part by a
major, major label. This CD goes in the trash.
Phantom Planet "Phantom Planet" (Epic)
This is the band that Jason Schwartzman (Rushmore) used to drum in.
He's on at least a few if not all of these tracks, but he had to
leave the band so he could persue the acting thing. Now, I'm not
sure if Phantom Planet should be ashamed or proud of this record.
Because I can't figure out if they essentially made a Strokes record
here or if they made the record that the Strokes should have made
instead of "Room On Fire." It's a real mystery and I have to think
about this some more.
Andrew W.K. "The Wolf" (Island)
This is my first listen to Andrew W.K. Is he Canadian? Because
something seems amiss. I feel the need to liken this music to soy cheese.
It's so ambitious, and yet it can't even come close to what it achieves to be.
At any rate, this CD is the modern rock version of Manheim Steamroller.
I don't think I like it and I'll never listen to this again on my own accord.
No comments:
Post a Comment