Friday, September 12, 2003

Cooking For The Picky Vegetarian

I think that would be the name of my very own cooking show if I had one on the Food Network. If I were a food critic I would call my column something similar. Lately, my organic vegetable subscription service has been box after box of delicious summer vegetables and fuits. Squash, heirloom tomatoes, basil, garlic, peaches, melons, plums. Okay, let's see. I've made soup, simple pasta sauces and sauteed veggies. What else to do? I've gotten so lazy that each new delivery becomes instant pizza toppings. Oh, more squash? Put It In The Pizza! Tomatoes? Duh, put it in the pizza. I guess I could be doing more with these veggies; they deserve more! But you know what? I love me some pizza.

And tomatoes caprese, the easiest recipe on this entire blog.

Slice up a bunch of fresh tomatoes, preferebly interesting heirlooms. You might want to seed them too.
Get a tub of fresh mozzarella. The kind packed in water.
Oh yeah and some basil.
Put the sliced tomatoes in a bowl or on a plate, spread evenly. Slice the mozzarella and put that in/on there too. You maybe want 70% tomatoes and 30% cheese. The star of the dish should be the tomatoes, that's why using heirlooms would be ideal.
Wash and pat dry your basil. Seperate into leaves and make a stack about yay big. Then roll up the stack like a ciggy and make little slices. Oh damn, you just made chiffonades of basil.
Sprinkle the basil on top of the tomatoes and mozzarella.
Drizzle with good olive oil, like Bariani's and good balsamic vinegar, like Cavalli's balsamic seasoning.
Finish with a tiny sprig of basil as a garnish. Like the Fab 5 says: If it's not garnished, it's not finished.
Yeah, that looks pretty good. Okay, eat.




No comments: