Friday, July 25, 2003

My summer vacation
[Part Two]


July 8, 2003
Los Angeles. Leon asked aloud: "Does anyone have a job here, or do they just drive around all day?" I think some people actually do have jobs...creating traffic. Charles made a funny joke that made use of a snaggle tooth voice. We allowed him to only use it once a week as not to wear it out; a snaggle tooth credit. We arrived at the club, The Garage to find out that Citybeat listed us with top billing. Now that's how it ought to be. We played with Evening Lights again and Ann spanked herself with the tamborine, The Pipas (who are my new favorite band), the Arrogants and Aerospace. I attended most of the show sipping Pabst after Pabst in the corner "selling merch." I fell asleep at one point, no doubtedly with my mouth wide open, and missed the rest of the bands. That night we slept at Mike's in Long Beach. Weezer, his cat, fell asleep in on my head and groomed my bangs for me with his scratchy tounge. Oh Weezer!

July 9, 2003
We woke late and ate lunch at fancy's Yacht club. So I ordered a classy meal: grilled cheese on sourdough, american cheese with fries. On the way back we stalked Greg Ginn, to the delight of Charles. Then we left for Santa Barbara. A long drive up 101 through traffic and fog. The area of Santa Barbara that we were headed to was very sterile and well manicured. The cafe we showed up to play at served amazing food. I ate some tuna-bruchetta thing and had several glasses of red wine. The Pipas played again with us and I finally got to see their whole set. Oh my. They were awesome (eventhough John ruined the sound), and just as nice as can be. And Lupe was the cutest thing I think I've ever seen...with the tooth and the Spanish accent. We all went out afterwards and drank at somebody's shi-shi club. Jimmy let us sleep on his floor after some hemming and hawing. We were so thankful. Leon and I shared a chaise lounge without complaint.

July 10, 2003
Onward North to SF. It was the first day of Pop Holiday and we were high-tailing it up 101 again to get our gear in Amy's garage and the rental van back to Sacramento. We had a quick lunch at Pea Soup Andersens, so now I think I've eaten at all of them. When we got back to Sacramento, we were able to visit with our cats for a little after dropping the van off at Avis. Mouse was sulking from being left alone and Cleo was just as needy as usual. Leon blew a minor gasket, so I drove to Bottom Of The Hill while he enjoyed the scenery. The Free Loan Investments were fucking rad and the Pipas blew me away again.

July 11, 2003
We gave Shirley the driving tour of the city, ate some burritos and bought some records. It really didn't make me nervous that we were going to perform that night until we actually got to the club for load-in. I couldn't stop thinking: "Oh, wow. I'm going to be on the stage. And everyone will be looking at me." Then I felt like I was going to puke. So I went and sat alone and finished my beer. After a while I felt a little better, but mentally out of sorts and before long, it was time to play. I think we did well and I didn't mess up any of the leads too bad. Afterwards I felt socially akward, so I spent it manning the merch booth and having more beers. For some reason I was beginning to find socializing very taxing. We sold out of nearly all of the shirts.

July 12, 2003
We played at Jamie's house with Free Loan Investments, Pipas, The Lucksmiths, The Guild League and Gregory Webster. It was pretty fun, but I felt like a dolt walking around, trying to fit into conversations. Clumsy. The naughty Pipas stole my boyfriend for a few hours and I didn't see him until the show later. I could really only stomach the Mosquitos. I sat outside for the other bands then finally gave up and went to sleep in the car while the Lucksmiths played. I regretted missing their set in the morning, but I was glad to catch a few winks.

July 13, 2003
It was an unusually beautiful day in SF. We drove to the top of Twin Peaks and enjoyed a 360 degree view of the city. All the hills didn't look like much of hills from up there. Leon told me that Mark from the Pipas had been in Bella Vista and the Moonlings. I almost screamed like a girl screaming for the Beatles. I wonder what Mark would think if we told him that our relationship was the result of several of his songs that Leon put on a mix tape for me when we first started dating. Well, not entirely. But the crush-themed mix tape that Leon made for me was just about the sweetest thing anyone's ever done for me. Later we watched Amy play in the Crabapples. Gregory Webster performed an awesome set and we all jumped around to Big Pink Cake and sang along. Then I figured out that I could use my drink tickets for well drinks. So I switched to vodka, stole somebody's drum sticks and started spanking people's butts as they walked by. I have an incriminating photo of this activity. Note to self: don't get near drum sticks when drunk. We decided to spend the night in our own bed in Sacramento before heading to Portland.

No comments: